Posted by Dr Sam, On 2 Feb, 2020 | Updated On 18 Nov, 2020 No Comments »
|Main Ingredients||Organic Chicken, Quinoa, Olive Oil|
|Cook Time||180 minutes|
|Cooking Method||Simmering – Gentle Cooking|
|Nutrition||Calories – 2988.4 Kcal, Protein – 171.3 g, Fat – 80.8 g, Vitamins – 90 mg, Minerals – 19416 mg. See Nutrition Details|
|Suitable For||26-Month Old, 30 Kg, Very Active, Large Breed, Normal-Haired Dog in Chilling Weather|
Poor food quality is one of the banes of dog food allergies. So make sure your first step is getting clean, wholesome foods from reputable purveyors. Buy government-inspected food products. We recommended good quality food stuff here you can get on Amazon. But feel free to get yours from any other suppliers.
1. Quinoa: is probably the most hypoallergenic of all the grains. It is high in protein with about 15% of its content. Quinoa also contains dietary fiber, phosphorus, magnesium and iron.
Get Quinoa on Amazon
2. Organic Chicken: Ordinarily, chicken is one of the least allergenic meat. And organically raised chicken is much more hypoallergenic. It is safe for allergic dog. Chicken is very reach in protein, fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), vitamin A, vitamin B5 and minerals like Sodium and Iron.
3. Olive Oil: Olive oil contains the highest number of monounsaturated fats. Including it in your dog daily diet helps tremendously.
Get Olive on Amazon
4. Broccoli: is a vegetable rich in calcium, provitamin A, vitamin K, Flavonoids, indoles, phenols, and other phytochemicals. It promotes vision, prevent drying of skin and eyes, enhances resistance to bacterial infection and overall immune system function.
5. Parsley: is a herb used as garnish. It is very rich in minerals (like Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium and Zinc) and vitamins (like Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B-6, Folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K).
Get Parsley on Amazon
6. Celery: a vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked. It is also a great natural source of magnesium and vitamin B6. It is rich in other minerals and vitamins.
Get Celery on Amazon
7. Bay Leaf: is an aromatic leaf used in cooking. It is also a great natural source of minerals and vitamins. It is very rich in magnesium and vitamin B6.
Get Bay Leave on Amazon
8. Peppercorn: is a seasoning made from small dried tropical berry. It is a very good source of Calcium, Iron and Vitamin C.
9. Whole Clove: is an aromatic flower bud used as spice. It very rich in protein, fiber and minerals (like Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Sodium).
Get Whole Clove on Amazon
10. Eggshell Powder: eggshell is made up of 95% calcium carbonate – essential mineral for your dog bone, enzyme and muscle health. Research shows that eggshell calcium helps in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis (low density, porous bone disease). Besides calcium, eggshell has traces of magnesium, sodium, potassium and phosphorus.
11. Kelp: iodine is a non-metallic mineral essential for correct function of the thyroid gland of your dog. And kelp (a sea plant), among others, is a great source of Iodine. Kelp is also rich in Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Phosphorus and Zinc. It also has high traces of essential vitamins, protein and fiber. Generally, food stuff for making homemade foods are quite low in iodine. So using kelp as iodine supplement is a great idea.
Get Kelp on Amazon
One surprising thing about iodine is that either less or more of it in the body causes thyroid dysfunction.
So do you get it right?
Don’t use salt in cooking your dog food as it is one of the causes of homemade dog food poison. Kelp is a good substitute for it.
I recommend “NOW Supplements Kelp“. The number of the kelp capsule(s) your dog needs per day is calculated after considering the amount already in the foodstuff and given in the INGREDIENT MEASURES below.
12. Spirulina: is a bacteria. It is a nutritional stronghold with high protein and health-boosting chlorophyll. It is a very rich source of minerals, vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, enzymes, amino and trace minerals.
Get Spirulina on Amazon
It is effective for prevention of nutritional deficiencies, inflammation, immune support and bacterial and yeast overgrowth. Spirulina is a very potent natural food supplement that will benefit your dog’s health.
Low quality, fake spirulina brands are here and there and may be dangerous to your dog. To be sure that the spirulina brand you’re buying is real and safe:
(a) Confirm that it’s tested and certified (with seals) by bodies like National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and US Pharmacopeial Convention (USP).
(b) Make sure the brand have Certificate of Analysis (COA).
(c) Ensure the pH of the spirulina brand is 10 or above.
(d) Check the label and ensure it reads that the spirulina is free of fillers, preservatives, additives and added colors.
(e) The spirulina must be solid, dark green in color, smell like fresh seaweed and matte.
To be rest assured, I recommend Earthrise Spirulina Brand.
For what I called therapeutic break, alternate the use of spirulina for your dog: 1-week on, 1-week off.
The amount of spirulina to give to your dog is calculated based on your dog’s weight and is given in the INGREDIENTS MEASURES below
13. Vinegar: It contains the following minerals and vitamins that are great for supplementing your dog food: minerals – sodium, calcium, pantothenic acid, magnesium, potassium, silicon, biotin, copper, iron, folic acid, niacin, pectin, phosphorus, sulfur, and vitamins – B1, B2, B6 and C. It helps maintain dog’s ideal body weight. It also enhances digestion.
Get Vinegar on Amazon
14. Pumpkin Seed Powder: it is not surprising that seeds are complete foods because they house next generation of plants. Pumpkin seeds are rich in essential amino acids like alanin, glycene and glutamin acids. The seeds are very good source of omega-3 fatty acid, zinc, iron, phosphorus, calcium, selenium and good traces of other important minerals and vitamins. Pumpkin seed powder is another health-boosting food supplement for your dog!
Get Pumpkin Seed Powder on Amazon
Cooking Preparation and Procedure
All ingredients’ measurements are done in gram with a good, sensitive and accurate kitchen scale that measures up to hundreds of gram and very sensitive gravity scale that measures down to 0.01 gram!.
- Raw Quinoa: 1613 gram
- Organic Chicken: 301 gram
- Olive Oil: 2 Teaspoon(s)
- Broccoli (Chopped): 4 cup(s)
- Parsley: 5 gram
- Celery (Coarsely Chopped): 40 gram
- Bay Leaf: 6 gram
- Peppercorn: 3 teaspoon(s)
- Whole Clove: 6 gram
- Eggshell Podwer: 4 teaspoon(s)
- Kelp: 2.84 gram. Empty the capsule of kelp on your gravity scale and measure.
- Spirulina: 1.5 gram (Please Buy Earthrise Brand only). To be sure of giving your dog recommended amount of spirulina, please used very sensitive gravity scale that measures down to 0.01 gram!
Alternate the use of spirulina for your dog: 1-WEEK ON, 1-WEEK OFF
- Vinegar: 5 teaspoon(s)
- Pumpkin Seed Powder: 8 tablespoon(s)
Our method of cooking is Moist-Heat method. Moist-heat methods are those in which the heat is conducted to the food product by water or water-based liquids such as broth, stock and sauces, or by steam. The method includes Boiling – 212°F (100°C), Simmering – 185°F to 205°F (85°C to 96°C) and Poach – 160°F to 180°F (71°C–82°C).
1. Place the chicken in a stockpot.
2. Pour boiling water till the chicken is covered and heat at (212°F) 100°C to return to a boil.
3. Allow to cool for like 3 to 5 minutes then skim the fat scum.
4. Add the kelp, celery, broccoli, bay leaf, parsley, peppercorn and whole cloves.
5. Simmer at 185°F (85°C) for about 2 hours 30 minutes until the chicken feel tender when pressed on the thigh.
6. Remove the chicken from the liquid, place in another container and cover till needed.
7. Strain the broth. Keep the broth and the filtered separately in appropriate containers and cover them.
Make sure these items are not kept unrefrigerated for up to 1 hour at a stretch.If you are not using the chicken, the filtered and the broth immediately, please cool them on ice-water bath and refrigerate below 41°F (5°C).
8. Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and holding under cold running water till it is thoroughly rinsed (that is when the water runs clear), drain well.
9. Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan, add the rinsed quinoa and the olive oil and heat at 212°F (100°C) till boiling.
10. Add the apple cider vinegar, pumpkin powder and spirulina and stir once or twice.
11. Reduce heat to low 185°F (85°C). Cover the pan and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes (or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender).
12. Test for doneness. Cook a few additional minutes if necessary.
13. Remove saucepan from heat and let it stands 5 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork.
14. Shred the chicken to remove all the bones. Then cut the chicken to size.
Bone piece is very dangerous when dog swallowed it. Your pooch may not be able to digest it and this can cause puncture of the intestine.
15. Sprinkle the eggshell powder to make up for removed bones. Then mix all together.
16. Add the chicken and the filtered from the broth to the quinoa and mix.
Then allow to cool for another 5 minutes to normal warm temperature.
And the meal is ready!!!
This recipe is formulated to give your dog nutrients profile as approved by Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Here is the detailed nutrients of the recipe as compared to AAFCO standard:
The excesses in the Calorie, Protein and Fat as compared to AAFCO are to make up for the nutrients your dog’s digestive system will not metabolize. After all, no system is 100% efficient!
|Nutrient||Details by this Meal||AAFCO Standard|
|Energy||2988.452 Kcal||2734 Kcal|
|Protein||171.272 g||153.935 g|
|Fat||80.815 g||58.238 g|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.456 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.118 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0.0006 mg|
|Vitamin A||0.171 mg|
|Vitamin E||12.487 mg|
The meal is for a day.
Divide the whole meal into 2 and spread feeding through the day.
Properly preserve the remaining portion for another time/day, check food hazards control.
Yeah! You just prepared a whole balanced nutritious meal that will:
1. Optimize your dog’s health.
2. Help guard your dog against diseases.
3. Make your sick dog fit and strong.
Do you have question or opinion about this post? Make it in the comment below.