Posted by Dr Sam, On 9 Jun, 2019 | Updated On 19 Nov, 2020 2 Comments »
|Main Ingredients||Skinless Chicken, Brown Rice, Canola Oil, Flax oil|
|Cook Time||160 minutes|
|Cooking Method||Simmering – Gentle Cooking|
|Nutrition||Calories – 993.75 Kcal, Protein – 67.31 g, Fat – 16 g, Vitamins – 42 mg, Minerals – 1508.8 mg.|
|Suitable For||Adult Dog with Arthritis|
Bone joint diseases are common in dogs. About 25% of dogs’ population suffer this illness. 78% of dogs suffering from arthritis are adult and majority are large and giant breeds.
Well formulated and balanced diets prevent the problem. And dietary correction alone is enough to restore skeletal integrity in some cases.
Nutritional treatment of arthritis involves:
a. Glucosamine: it boosts cartilage regeneration and slows osteoarthritic evolution. It is derived from the chitin of shellfish.
b. Chondroitin Sulfate: it is a sulfur-rich compound that is a component of cartilage. It inhibits the degradative enzyme action which is at the origin of cartilage destruction. It also promotes chondrocyte activity.
c. Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): these are long-chain omega 3 fatty acids. They modulate inflammation by stimulating the production of less inflammatory eicosanoids. They also affect regulatory mechanisms involved in chondrocyte gene transcription.
d. Antioxidants: these include vitamins E & C, lutein, polyphenols and so on. They protects cells from free radicals attack.
Green Lipped Mussel (GLM) – is an extract from Perna Canaliculi. It has strong anti-inflammatory substances and other nutrients that promote bone joint health. GML powder contains about 34.6% saturated, 18.4% mono-unsaturated, and 47% poly-unsaturated fatty acids. Its poly-unsaturated oil is 41% omega 3 fatty acids (mainly eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids), 0.3% eicosatetraenoic acid (ETA) and 5.2% omega 6. Moreover, GLM powder contains 6.9% chondroitin and 0.0005% glutamine (a glycosaminoglycan precursor).
Get Green Lipped Mussel (GLM) on Amazon
The combination of omega 3 poly-unsaturated fatty acids, the GAGs chondroitin and precursor glutamine, together with anti-oxidant micronutrients (including zinc, copper, and selenium) is synergy that limit the progression of osteoarthritis (OA). This recipe contains all!
Does everything go well? If yes! Then head to the kitchen and cook for your dog!
Ingredients for Chicken-Pasta Homemade Dog Food Recipe
Poor food quality is one of the banes of dog food allergies. So make sure your first step is getting clean, wholesome foods from reputable purveyors. Buy government-inspected food products. We recommended good quality food stuff here you can get on Amazon. But feel free to get yours from any other suppliers.
- Boneless, Skinless ORGANIC Chicken Breasts: Ordinarily, chicken is one of the least allergenic meat. And organically raised chicken is much more hypoallergenic. It is safe for allergic dog. Chicken is very reach in protein, fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), vitamin A, vitamin B5 and minerals like Sodium and Iron.
Get Organic Skinless Chicken Breast on Amazon
- Long-grain, White Rice: is composed of 28% carbohydrates, 68% water, 3% protein, and negligible amount of fat.
Get Long-grain, White Rice on Amazon
- Green Lipped Mussel (GLM): natural food supplement which is very rich in micronutrients good for repair of bone joints and prevention of joints diseases.
Get Green Lipped Mussel (GLM) on Amazon
- Broccoli: is a vegetable rich in calcium, provitamin A, vitamin K, Flavonoids, indoles, phenols, and other phytochemicals. It is promotes vision, prevent drying of skin and eyes, enhances resistance to bacterial infection and overall immune system function.
- Canola Oil: this is completely different from rapeseed oil. Rapeseed oil is toxic because it contains large amounts of a poisonous chemical called erucic acid. Canola was developed using traditional plant breeding techniques by Canadian plant breeders to remove the anti-nutritional components (erucic acid and glucosinolates) from rapeseed to assure its safety for human and animal consumption. Canola got its name from “Can” from Canada and “ola” as abbreviation of “oil low acid”. Canola is not rapeseed. Oilseed products that do not meet this standard cannot use the trademarked term “Canola.” Canola oil is widely recognized as the healthiest salad and cooking oil available to consumers. Its unique fatty acid profile, rich in oleic acid and low in saturated fats, makes it particularly beneficial for the prevention of heart disease.
Get Canola Oil on Amazon
- Kelp: is a seaweed that grows in nutrient-rich, shallow saltwater. It is a natural source of food supplements. As salt is one of the sources of food poisoning for dog, it is a good substitute for salt. It contains fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins (like B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, C, E and K) and minerals (like calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc). It is effective for solving dog’s bad breath and teeth plague.
Get Kelp on Amazon
- Bone Meal Powder: a good source of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. It is good for your dog’s bones, teeth, muscular and nerve function.
- KAL Bone Meal Powder – is a great bone powder brand among others. Ground egg shell is great substitute for bone meal powder. To cut cost, gather the egg shell from your kitchen, allow it to dry and grind into fine powder with a good and effective grinder.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It contains the following minerals and vitamins that are great for supplementing your dog food: minerals – sodium, calcium, pantothenic acid, magnesium, potassium, silicon, biotin, copper, iron, folic acid, niacin, pectin, phosphorus, sulfur, and vitamins – B1, B2, B6 and C. It helps maintain dog’s ideal body weight. It also enhances digestion.
Get Apple Cider Vinegar on Amazon
- Flax Seed Oil: also called linseed oil or simply flax oil. It is a natural food supplement for essential fatty acids your dog needs for healthy life. Flax oil is rich in omega-3. It is good for your dog’s skin and heart and prevent cancer and diabetic.
Get Flax Seed Oil on Amazon
Cooking Preparation and Procedure
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts 9 ounces (255 g)
Rice 1 cups (Uncooked)
Broccoli, chopped 2 cup
Canola oil 2 tablespoon
Green Lipped Mussel (GLM)
Kelp 1/16 teaspoon (a pinch)
Flax oil 2 teaspoon
Bone Meal Powder 3 teaspoons
Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoon
Celery 4 oz (113 g) coarsely chopped
Bay leaf 3 pieces
Parsley stems 8 pieces
Peppercorns 2 teaspoon
Whole cloves 4 pieces
Our method of cooking is Moist-Heat method. Moist-heat methods are those in which the heat is conducted to the food product by water or water-based liquids such as broth, stock and sauces, or by steam. The method includes Boiling – 212°F (100°C), Simmering – 185°F to 205°F (85°C to 96°C) and Poach – 160°F to 180°F (71°–82°C).
1. Place the fowl in a stockpot.
2. Pour boiling water till the chicken is covered and heat at (212°F) 100°C to return to a boil.
3. Add the kelp, celery, broccoli, bay leaf, parsley stem, peppercorn and whole cloves.
4. Simmer at 185°F (85°C) for about 2 hours 30 minutes until the chicken feel tender when pressed on the thigh.
5. Remove the chicken from the liquid, place in another container and cover till needed.
6. Strain the broth. Keep the broth and the filtered separately in appropriate containers and cover them.
Make sure these items are not kept unrefrigerated for about 1 hour at a stretch. If you are not using the chicken, the filtered and the broth immediately please cool them on ice-water bath and refrigerate below 41°F (5°C).
7. Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and holding under cold running water till the water runs clear, drain well.
8. Combine the chicken broth (appropriate amount), the rinsed rice and the canola oil and heat at 212°F (100°C) till boiling.
9. Add the apple cider vinegar and flax oil and stir once or twice.
10. Reduce heat to low 185°F (85°C). Cover the pan and simmer for proper cooking time (or until water is absorbed and rice is tender).
11. Test for doneness. Cook a few additional minutes if necessary.
12. Remove saucepan from heat and let it stands 5 minutes. Fluff rice with fork.
13. Sprinkle the bone powder to make up for removed bones.
Bone piece is very dangerous when dog swallowed it. Your puppy may not be able to digest it and this can cause puncture of the intestine.
14. Then cut the chicken to size.
15. Add the chicken and the filtered from the broth to the rice and mix. Then allow to cool for another 5 minutes to normal warm temperature.
How to use the Green Lipped Mussel (GLM)
After taking the portion of the meal for your dog for the day, open capsule(s) of Swanson Green Lipped Mussel and sprinkle it on the meal and mix. A capsule is 500 mg.
1000 mg for dog with Body Weight (BW) of 35 kg or more.
750 mg for dog with Body Weight (BW) from 25 to 34 kg.
450 mg for dog with Body Weight (BW) of 25 kg or less.
Recipe Nutrition Details
Calorie: 993.75 kcal
Carbs: 143.35 mg
Proteins: 67.31 g
Fats: 16 g
Fiber: 5 mg
Minerals: 1508.85 mg
Vitamins: 42 mg
Daily Calorie Needs and Feeding Direction
There is possibility that your arthritis dog is old, inactive and big.
Inactive Adult Dog (of the these body weights)
40 Pound (18.17 kg) requires 690 kcal per day.
79 Pound (35.87 kg) requires 1089.69 kcal per day.
Feed your adult dog twice a day.
For instance, let assume your adult, inactive dog is 40 pounds. Her daily calorie is therefore around 690 kcal. You divide the total calorie of this prepared recipe – 993.75 by 690 (i.e. 993.75/690 = 1.4). This shows that you feed your old pet for one and half days with this home-prepared meal recipe.
If your old, inactive dog is 79 pounds, her daily calorie need is 1089.69. Dividing the total calorie of this prepared recipe – 993.75 by 1089.69 (i.e. 993.75/1089.69 = 0.9). This shows that you feed your old pet for 1 day with this home-prepared meal recipe.
If you are a bit good at high school Maths, here is the formula to calculate the exact calorie your dog needs per day:
A x (Body Weight in kg)0.67
Where A is:
99 for inactive sedentary dog
132 for active dog
160 for very active puppy
So for a 79 pound, inactive adult dog, the calorie is:
A = 9, Body Weight = (79/2.202) = 35.87 kg
Therefore the calorie is
99 x (35.87)0.67 ] = 1089.69 kcal
If you have question, opinion against or for and further assistance, please make it in the comment below.
Do you have question or opinion about this post? Make it in the comment below.