Best Healthy Homemade Dog Food
We Provide You With Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes and Information Necessary To Make Sound Nutritional Choices That Optimize Your Dog's Health and Help Prevent Diseases.
Latest Homemade Dog Foods
Your 11-Month Old, 10 Kg, Normal Life Styled Dog with normal short hair and in warm weather need 702 Kcal per day. Here’s Brown Rice-Chicken Homemade Recipe for her.
1023 Kcal is needed daily by your 15-Month Old, 10 Kg, Normal Life Styled, Small Breed, Normal-Haired Dog in Chilling Weather. Here’s Quinoa-Chicken recipe for her!
Your 26-month old, 30 Kg (66 Pound), very active, normal-haired dog in chilling weather needs 2734 Kcal daily. Here’s Quinoa-Chicken Homemade Dog Food Recipe that gives her balanced health meal.
Your 17-Month Old, 10 Kg, Active Life Styled, Small Breed, Long-Haired Dog in Chilling Weather needs 926 Kcal daily. Here’s Brown Rice-Chicken Recipe that meets all the needed nutrients.
Latest Homemade Dog Treats
Latest Homemade Dog Soups
Healthy carrot-fennel homemade dog soup for your dog with seizure. Rich in nutrients to make your epileptic dog live a quality healthy life. Check it out, it’s simple to make!
Homemade dog food is gradually becoming popular over commercial dog food in feeding and caring for pooch. And it will be great if you key yourself into this new healthy way of caring for your canine loyal friend. Health and wellness benefits dogs get from homemade food cannot be overemphasized. These benefits are the reasons for this popularity.
Before you start feeding your dog homemade food, here is detailed information with 10 facts you must know to do it right. This will benefit you and your dog. Check it out!
Benefits of Homemade Dog Food
1. Home-prepared dog food is cheaper than commercial food for pooch:
- Home-cooked meal will make you feed you dog with less money. Research shows that adequately feeding a medium-sized dog with commercial food cost about $5 per day. But with homemade food, it cost around $2.25 daily.
2. It is healthier than commercial dog food:
- Commercial dog foods are heavy with preservatives and additives which are serious health risk. Well home-cooked food should contain no preservatives and artificial additives. The additives we share with our website users are pure natural food supplements.
- Homemade dog food is cooked with potentially better ingredients and, of course, more interest for the canine palate.
3. It helps you tailor your dog diet:
- Each dog is biochemically unique. Home-prepared food helps give your dog foods and nutrients that vibe with her. Factory-made food will deny your dog this benefit.
4. Homemade food reduces cost on and visit to vet:
- You are sure of well balanced meal that keeps your dog away from vet clinic with home-cooked food. And you save money on vet visit cost.
A good case is that of Buddy as reported by Cornell University Vet. Buddy suffered from a disease called Protein-losing Enteropathy. Protein-losing Enteropathy is one of the effects of hypersensitivity to food allergen in dog. The prognosis is sternly serious as half of population of dogs affected by this disease died. In the Cornell's clinical trial, Buddy was fed hydrolyzed diets for some week. She responded positively and got healed.
This image shows a dog with lost coats and weight from persistent gastrointestinal problems. After clinical trial with a modified diet, there was dramatic improvements in weight gain and coat regrowth.
Understanding your dog and feeding her customized homemade food can prevent this and even give you the same result if your dog is affected.
What is the best homemade food for dogs?
Every dog is biochemically unique. Food my dog has allergy for might be the one your dog profit well from. We cannot say this is the best homemade food for all dogs but basic understanding (you will gain here) will tell you the best food for your pooch.
We recommend natural, real-food diet low in carbohydrate and starch. Homemade food in harmony with dog's ancestral diet is the best for your dog. Ensure your dog food is gently cooked to retain the most bio-available nutrients including vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
Here are general checks you can do on your dog's food ingredients list:
1. Protein: This is first! Fresh, animal meats and edible internal organs, should make up the high fraction of your dog's food. The protein is better with meat of grass-fed or free-range animals. Grain-fed livestock contain different levels of micronutrients from your dog's ancestral prey.
2. Low starch and carbohydrates: Sparingly include high starch foods in your dog's homemade recipes. Rice, potatoes, corn, soy, etc must be in moderate quantity. Use green vegetable like spinach, kale and celery also. Ensure all vegetables are finely chopped to enhance their digestibility in your dog.
3. Essential fatty acids: Meat of grass-fed animals are high in omega-3 fatty acid. Sea foods like mackerel, sardines, oysters and mussels are also good sources of omega-3 fatty acid. Plant sources of essential fatty acids are hemp, coconut and flaxseed oil among others.
4. Variety of natural micronutrients: As dogs' ancestors were scavengers and foragers, you should include ingredients that are like those on the forest floor, such as seeds and herbs. Here are great natural sources of micronutrients supplements for your dog: celery, bay leaf, peppercorn, whole clove, kelp, spirulina, pumpkin seed, sesame seed and so on.
About Best Healthy Homemade Dog Food
This homemade dog food site is a unique resource for you. It provides information on dog nutrition and management of pooch health disorders with foods and diets.
Recipes are provided for making homemade diets for healthy pets to prevent ailment and for ill dogs to achieve quick recovery. Our diets have been formulated with a effective computer algorithm to ensure that they are balanced and according to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) recommendations.
We have diets carefully formulated for specific dog categories and health problems according to veterinary recommendations.
Homemade Foods for Puppy
Homemade Foods for Sick Dog
- Chicken-Rice-GLM Homemade Food Recipe for Adult, Large & Giants Breed Dogs with Arthritis
- Brown Rice – Tuna Homemade Recipe for Your Adult Dog with Seizure
Dog Homemade Care Contents
- Homemade Dog Food Allergy Trial Test
- Periodontal Disease in Dogs, Oral Hygiene & Homemade Dental Care Formula
- Dog Bad Breath Causes & Homemade Solution
- Seizures in Dogs, Symptoms & Home Care
- Dog Daily Water Requirement – Make Your Dog Drinks Healthily
- How to Make Eggshell Powder for Dogs
- 12 Facts about Homemade Dog Food Allergies and Intolerance
- How to Prevent Biological, Chemical and Physical Food Hazards in Homemade Dog Food
- Are Avocados Good for Your Dog? The Fact!
- How to Start Feeding Your Dog with Homemade Food – 10 Facts You Must Know
How many cups of homemade food should I feed my dog?
No vet can just tell you the number of cups of homemade food you should feed your dog. This is because:
- The amount of food your dog should consume depends on her Daily Energy Requirement (DER).
- And the number of cups of home-prepared food you should give your dog depends on the calories content of the food.
It is this daily energy need that determines nutrient/diet need of your dog. Dog daily energy requirement (DER) itself is determined by a number of factors:
- Reproductive Status – Pregnant, Lactating
- Breed - Activity Level, Hairiness
- Lifestyle - Activity Level
- Age - Young, Senior
- Body Weight - Underweight, Overweight, Ideal Weight
- Stress level – Working Dog, Pet Dog
- Environment - Weather/Climatic Temperature, Social
Intact dogs require more energy than neutered dogs. So, intact dog will need more cups of a certain homemade food than neutered dog under the same conditions.
Calories needs are increased in pregnant or lactating bitches. Sedentary, inactive or overweight dogs require less calorie than active dogs and dogs involve in working.
Some large dog breeds like Great Danes and Dalmatians seem to have more energy requirements than some like Newfoundlands.
Nutritional needs of young, growing puppies are different from those of adult dogs. Senior pooches may require less energy because they may be inactive and sedentary.
Boarding stresses and presence of other pets in the house may cause increase in the energy requirement. Weather/climate temperature also affect DER of your dog. Dogs kept outside in cold weather require a higher energy intake.
Get Your Dog Daily Energy Requirement Calculated for You with Our Free Daily Calories Need Calculator!
Number of Households with Dogs are Increasing
A study conducted by Statista from year 2000 to 2017 discovered that U. S. dog’s population grow from 68 million to 89.7 million. This is over 20 million increment. Statista's research also revealed that household penetration rates for dog-ownership in United States is increasing steadily. As at 2016, about 50% of U.S. households own a dog.
As population of dogs' owners is increasing day by day, sound knowledge of homemade dog food and home care remedy is very vital. Diet is an important factor in the care of your pooch. It is a major consideration in health and life expectancy of your canine pets.
With the home-prepared dog food recipes presented in this site, you will have an excellent experience in nutrition of and feeding your dogs. If you carefully follow the diet directions here you will safely prepare balanced diets for your loyal canine companion.
Ingredient's link in our recipes' posts lead to Amazon website. Amazon pays us commision if you buy the item from it. But buying from Amazon through our links is not compulsory. Feel free to get your ingredients in any other place but ensure they are the quality and standard recommended. Thank you!
Popular Dog Food Recipes
Homemade dog recipe formulated to reduce the severity of arthritis. It prevents the disease in large and giant breeds and any other arthritis-prone dogs The recipe is enough for 79 pounds dog for a day. 40 pounds dog for one and half days.
997 Kcalorie is needed daily by a 11-month old, 11 Kg, very active life styled, small breed, normal-haired dog in cold weather. This recipe give you exact amount of ingredients you need to get all nutrients your dog requires as stated by AAFCO